Banana Bread with Applesauce and Honey
I love banana bread. However, I’ve always had a dilemma with it. The problem is it’s either delicious but made with all the bad stuff – white flour, white sugar, and oil. Or…it’s super healthy but the texture is off and/or it’s not sweet enough. So I went on a mission to come up with a banana bread recipe that’s both delicious and nutritious. I’ve come up with this banana bread with applesauce and honey recipe that satisfies both my health needs as well as my picky taste buds. Win Win!
This healthy banana bread with applesauce and honey recipe is packed with protein, fiber and omega-3 fatty acids (protein and omega-3 fatty acids from the flax and fiber from the bananas, flax, AND applesauce).
The crumble on top is optional. It does make it slightly more indulgent since it uses butter and brown sugar but I just couldn’t help my self. It’s still delicious without out it, but I just thought I’d try something different.
- 3 overly ripe bananas – mashed
- 2 eggs – beaten
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 c. honey
- 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. ground flax meal
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9X5″ loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, ground flax meal, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, mix together the applesauce and honey; add the beaten eggs and mashed bananas and mix until well combined.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and mix until well combined.
- Pour into the loaf pan.
For the Crumble:
- 1/4 c. oats
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. butter – room temperature
- 1/8 c. chopped walnuts
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- Combine all the ingredients until well combined.
- Evenly top the banana bread batter with the crumble.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 65 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean.
I hope you enjoy this healthy banana bread with applesauce and honey as much as we do. Let me know what you think!