I wanted to serve pasta salad as a side dish last weekend to go with grilled salmon but didn’t want to bore everyone with the same old Italian pasta salad. So I decided to combine it with the one salad I just can’t get enough of – the ever so delicious Caprese salad. If you too are looking for a simple and delicious alternative to traditional pasta salad to serve at your next summer barbecue, this Caprese inspired pasta salad recipe is guaranteed to impress your guests. It’s fresh, zesty, and so flavorful!
What sets this caprese inspired pasta salad apart from the competition?
- The cavatappi pasta traps the dressing a flavors not only around the spirals but also inside of the hollow tubes so that each bite is bursting with caprese goodness.
- The diced pimientos are a unique addition that add a sweet and spicy pop of flavor.
- The black olives bring in a pop of saltiness reminiscent of traditional pasta salad
- The Marzetti Signature Sweet Italian Salad Dressing is a rich and flavorful alternative to balsamic vinaigrette and ties in some of the flavors of traditional Italian pasta salad.
- 1 pound of cavatappi pasta
- (1) 15 oz. can of black olives – sliced
- 1/2 of a red onion – thinly sliced
- 1 c. of grape or cherry tomatoes – cut in half
- 1/4 c. of fresh basil – roughly chopped
- (1) 4 oz. jar of diced pimientos
- (1) 8 oz. ball of fresh mozzarella pearls
- 1/2 of a jar (approximately 7 oz.) of Marzetti Signature Sweet Italian Salad Dressing
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of well salted water to a boil
- Add pasta and cook until al dente (about 10 minutes); drain and set aside
- Toss pasta with the vegetables and basil
- Season with salt and pepper
- Drizzle with the dressing and toss until well combined
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving
If you enjoyed this recipe, you might also want to this summer inspired arugula and pear salad.