Hearty Vegetable Lasagna: You Won’t Miss the Meat
I know there are a million (literally) vegetable lasagna recipes out there but I just couldn’t resist adding this one to the mix since it’s the best vegetable lasagna I’ve personally ever had. I’ve made this a couple times for dinner parties as well and even my major meat lover friends and family enjoyed it (including my ever-so-picky hubby). This hearty vegetable lasagna is rich, flavorful, and filling, yet surprisingly lower in carbs that most lasagnas.
One thing I realized while preparing this dish was that lasagna isn’t as high carb as I thought. There is a large amount of vegetables and cheese in proportion to the mere 6 lasagna noodles. This is by no means a light dish low in calories, but if you’re watching carbs – this dish isn’t all that bad as far as carbs go. I also use a marinara sauce that doesn’t contain sugar, which also makes it slightly lower in carbs than traditional lasagnas. You technically could just omit the noodles completely while still retaining the richness and flavors.
Tricks that Make this Hearty Vegetable Lasagna Better than the Average:
- For starters, I use a combination of ricotta and cottage cheeses. The cottage cheese adds an element of texture and richness. Ricotta can be slightly bland by itself.
- I saute the mushrooms and garlic with a splash of white wine and let it simmer until the liquid is cooked off. This also adds an additional element of richness to the lasagna.
- I combine the marinara sauce with shredded carrots to add an element of texture and a touch of sweetness to the sauce.
- 6 Lasagna Noodles
- 1 Jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 2 zucchini – peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 packages of mushrooms – thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1/4 c. of dry white wine (I used a chardonnay that I would drink)
- 1/2 c. of shredded carrots
- 3 tsp. oregano
- 6 oz. ricotta cheese
- 6 oz. cottage cheese
- 1 package of mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 package frozen spinach
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Boil the noodles and set aside – I add a little olive oil to them so prevent sticking together.
- Combine the pasta sauce, oregano, shredded carrots, and salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Combine the ricotta, cottage cheese, 6 oz. of the mozzarella, thawed spinach, eggs, and salt and pepper in a large bowl and set aside.
- Saute the mushrooms and garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Add a splash white wine and let it simmer until all of the liquid evaporate. This will add a touch of flavor and richness to the mixture.
- Lightly oil a 13X9 inch pan.
- Evenly layer half of the sauce mixture.
- Evenly layer half of the cheese and spinach mixture.
- Top the cheese mixture with three lasagna noodles.
- Top the noodles with one even layer of zucchini slices; season with salt.
- Evenly top the zucchini slices with half of the mushroom mixture.
- Top the mushroom mixture with an even layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat steps 6-11.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
More Recipes You Might Like: