Keto Chinese Food Dishes
You’re on a keto diet. It’s a Friday night and your chowhound girlfriends want to to the local Chinese shop at the strip mall. Yikes!
Don’t worry here are some keto friendly Chinese food dishes you can order without breaking ketosis.
- Egg Foo Young – Ask for extra chicken and no sauce. Egg Foo Young usually clocks in at 10 to 12g of carbohydrates and up to 50g of protein
- Moo Shu Pork – Another great keto friendly Chinese dish! Pork, bok choy, snow peas, bell peppers, shiitake mushrooms, and celery makes this a must try keto Chinese food menu item (request no sauce)
- Stir-Fried Beef & Broccoli – Not only keto friendly but healthy as well. Just make sure to ask for no added salt or MSG (many times Chinese shops will make broccoli unhealthy by soaking it in salt and MSG)
- Keto Mongolian Beef Stir Fry – Beef, garlic, red chili peppers, garlic, thinly sliced carrots… what’s not to like here? (again ask for no sauce as Chinese shops love to cover anything in a sauce)
- Zucchini Chow Mein – This a rare menu item but definitely worth a shot if you can find it. Its chow mein but the noddles are made from zucchini!
Non-Keto Chinese Food Dishes to Avoid like the Plague
- Anything with rice in it (fried rice, chicken fried rice, vegetable rice etc)… just say no!
- Any type of fried dreaded meats, such as in hot braised chicken or general tso’s chicken. Not only are these high in carbs but they are also some of the worse Chinese food you can eat period.
- Egg rolls and crab rangoon – two extremely popular appetizers that must be avoided at all cost
- Pork dumplings – Not as bad as the previously mentioned items but stay far away
Keto Chinese Food Dining Out Recap
Stick to simple meals like sauce free meat and veggies.
Avoid Chinese dishes with rice and the word “fried” in them.
Also, pass on the fortune cookie but load up on the hot tea!