No Bake Coconut Cream Cheese Pie
Last week was Thanksgiving and I was contemplating what kind of pie to make. My hubby requested coconut cream pie, which I’m not a HUGE fan of. I on the other hand was craving cheesecake. Cheesecake, however, didn’t seem festive enough for Thanksgiving. So I decided to combine the two into a coconut cream cheese pie to establish the best of both worlds!
This pie was a total home run! Not only is it rich, creamy and mouthwatering but it’s also super easy to make since I cheat a bit and use a store bought crust (the hardest part about making pies) and I also use coconut cream pudding mix as well.
I like the fact that this coconut cream cheese pie is no bake as well. Usually when I make pies, everything looks good until I bake it. I usually over or under cook it or the filling oozes out everywhere and the whole thing just falls apart. With no bake pies, you have a little more control of what the end product is going to be.
The other thing I love about this pie is there’s no egg in it. Whether there’s egg in the crust or the filling, it can sometimes have that raw “eggy” taste that makes me want to gag most of the time. No egg also allows you to refrigerate it longer and it will still taste fresh.
If you are an over achiever (just kidding), you can make your own graham cracker pie crust for more of a made-from-scratch approach. I also highly recommend not skipping out on the toasted coconut topping. it adds a nice crunch and pop of sweetness. This recipes calls for more toasted coconut than you will likely need so feel free to pack the rest in a ziplock baggy to use on top of cereal, oats, or ice cream…YUM!
- 1 store bought graham cracker pie crust
- 2 packages coconut cream pudding mix
- 2 cups of half and half milk
- 1 container of cool whip
- 1 1/2 bars of cream cheese (12 oz.)
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
Directions for the Coconut Cream Cheese Pie
- In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut cream pudding and the half and half with a whisk until smooth and creamy; let it sit for a minute or two to thicken.
- Scoop 1 1/2 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the pie crust (this is the first layer).
- In a separate bowl, cream together the sugar and cream cheese with a hand held mixer.
- Fold in the cool whip with a spatula until everything is well combined.
- Add half of the sugar/cream cheese/cool whip mixture to the remaining coconut cream pudding/half and half mixture and mix together until well combined; spread evenly over the first layer of the pie (this is the second layer).
- Spread the remaining sugar/cream cheese/cool whip mixture on top of the second layer (this is the third layer).
- Cover with a lid a refrigerate for 8-10 hours (or over night).
Directions for the Toasted Coconut Topping
- When ready to serve the pie, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with a piece of parchment paper.
- Evenly spread the shredded coconut out on the pan.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes (make sure you mix the coconut around every two minutes so that it bakes evenly).
- Sprinkle the top of the pie with the toasted coconut and serve!