Southwest Sweet Potato and Quinoa Power Bowl
My hubby might be one of the pickiest food connoisseurs I’ve ever met. So when he said this was one of the best meals he’s ever had, I knew I hit a home run. I usually veer away from all of these “power bowls” that I hear about just because they seem to all taste the same and are typically too bland for my liking. This southwest sweet potato and quinoa power bowl, however, is anything but bland. I’ve always loved the combo of sweet potatoes and black beans but then when you add everything else plus this AMAZING zesty dressing, it truly is an orgasm in your mouth.
What’s even better is it’s SUPER healthy! You won’t have to eat much of this yummy dish to feel full and satisfied since it is SO nutrient rich. I highly recommend topping it with a generous dollop of sour cream, which adds a cool and creamy balance to all of the rich flavors. But if you’re vegan just leave it off – easy as that!
- 3-4 small to medium sized sweet potatoes – peeled and cubed into 1″ pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 c. uncooked quinoa (makes approximately 3 cups when cooked)
- 1 small white, yellow, or red onion – diced
- (1) 15 oz. can whole kernel corn – drained
- (1) 15 oz. can black beans – drained and rinsed
- 3/4 c. cilantro – roughly chopped
- 6 tbs. sour cream (to be used when plating)
Ingredients for the Dressing:
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. garlic – minced
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. Tajin seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 420 degrees.
- Place the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes on a large sheet pan; drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt and toss until evenly coated; Evenly distribute on pan.
- Bake the sweet potatoes for approximately 20-25 minutes (flipping them once during the cooking process).
- Season the sweet potatoes again with salt and/or your favorite seasoning when finished roasting.
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions and set aside.
- Saute the diced onion until translucent; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine the sweet potatoes, quinoa, black beans, corn, sauteed onions, and cilantro until well combined and set aside.
- Directions for the Dressing: In a small mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients thoroughly.
- Drizzle the dressing over the quinoa and vegetable mixture; toss until well combined.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and garnish with extra cilantro.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Let me know what you think!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
The BEST Vegetarian Enchiladas (you wont miss the meat)
Cauliflower and Chickpea Tikka Masala (welcome to flavortown)