Let’s just say my husband isn’t exactly fond of vegan food…but he did in fact LOVE these. The most delicious meals (in my opinion) have a perfect balance of savory, sweet, and spicy components. These vegan sloppy joes definitely balance all three of those pallets to create flavor perfection. And what’s even better is they are significantly lower in fat, cholesterol, and calories than your traditional sloppy joe. One of my favorite things about eating vegan food is you can indulge without feeling lethargic and crappy afterwards.
The protein base of these vegan sloppy joes are Gardein Beefless Grounds. I love using these for tacos and enchiladas as well. They don’t have that fake meat taste like a lot of other vegan meat products. The ingredients in the beefless grounds are packed with healthy REAL ingredients: water, soy protein, vital wheat gluten, ancient grains (quinoa, amaranth, millet and kamut), natural flavors (from plant sources), potato starch, expeller pressed canola oil and/or safflower oil, pea protein, modified vegetable gum, carrot fiber, organic beet root fiber, organic evaporated cane juice, yeast extract, vinegar, sea salt.
vegan sloppy joes: ingredients
- tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1/2 onion – diced
- 1 bag (approx. 14 oz) Gardein Beefless Ground
- 1 1/2 cup marinara sauce – I use Zias
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to season
- 6 whole wheat hamburger buns – lightly toasted
How to make vegan sloppy joes
- In a large sauce pan, saute the onion until fragrant, add the garlic and cayenne powder; stire until combined
- Add the Gardein Beefless Ground; season with salt and pepper; cook for a few minutes until the beefless crumbles aren’t frozen anymore
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir and cook for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- We usually heat the buns in the toaster or oven, but it’s up to you.
- Top the mixture with your favorite toppings. I topped mine with pickled red onions and vegan mayo. OMG melt in your mouth!
I hope you give these a try…I literally crave them all the time. I’d love to hear what you think of them!